PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Sat Jul 24 10:23:34 UTC 2004

On fre, 2004-07-23 at 22:25 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> >>So far people have express a desire to move:
> >>KDE
> >

> > I still think that moving KDE away from core is a Bad Idea. I have
> > always preferred KDE over GNOME, as many other people do.
>
> Know that there may also be benefits to moving KDE to Extras.
> * Red Hat does not emphasize enigneering work on KDE.  Most of the RH
> desktop team works mainly on GNOME.
> * As a result our KDE is always not as good as it could be.
> * Community members care about KDE.
> * Thus community members would do a better job of providing a more
> polished KDE experience in Fedora.

There is already a KDE-on-Red Hat/Fedora community project, as we all
know. It would be ideal for that packager- and userbase to maintain KDE
for FE.

The only problem as I see it, is that the current KDE-on-Red Hat/Fedora
project builds a version of KDE that incorporates patented technologies,
such as mpeg playback (xine-lib, lame etc). Hopefully it's possible to
split those parts out in separate packages and throw into Fedora Free
World (aka livna).

Rex, what do you say?

/Peter

--