IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 18:34:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:35:05 -0700 (PDT), Denis Leroy
<denisleroy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Boy that's a narrow view. How about laptop users ? I reboot my laptop
> all the time, I can't switch from single to dual screens without it.

I think time would be better spent trying to reduce the reasons for
rebooting, rather than speeding up the boot process.  For example,
with laptops, better support for hibernation and suspend needs to be
addressed, as well as cases like yours (multiple profiles).

Knuth spoke of avoiding "premature optimization" (as mentioned
elsewhere in this thread) but an equally dangerous sink for
productivity can be spending developer time on fixing symptoms when it
would be better to cure the root problem instead.

--
Ben Steeves
            ben.steeves at gmail.com
            GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9