PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Sindre Pedersen Bjordal foolish at fedoraforum.org
Sat Jul 24 21:10:01 UTC 2004

lør, 24.07.2004 kl. 22.40 skrev Pedro Fernandes Macedo:
> Marius Andreiana wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 13:21 +0000, Willem Riede wrote:
> >

> >>Right. And because there could be rpm dependencies between packages from
> >>the "old" Extras on the "old" Core, that might not be satisfied by the
> >>"new" Core post-upgrade, there ought to be a really convenient way to
> >>upgrade Extras at the same time, either by Anaconda itself or by
> >>firstboot-after-upgrade.
> >>

> >Remember that not everyone has internet access. The Core should work by
> >itself, no internet access require to have a full install working from
> >core CDs.
> >

> That's one of my biggest concerns.. Take for example KDE , which people
> suggested going to extras. I know many KDE users with dialup connections
> (which is very common here in Brazil). Usually they get their install
> media from a friend who has broadband connection (or buy the cds online)
> and they dont want to download anything else besides the security
> updates. For them , downloading all the KDE rpms would be something very
> hard.
> One thing that would be interesting would be anaconda (or firstboot)
> supporting the extra CDs. Then , those who want KDE download the core
> CDs and the Extras CD that contains KDE.
> I agree with what someone said before on this thread. To reduce Core ,
> we need :
> 1 - to find what is used by a great part of the users and what is
> considered a niche software.
> 2 - define the use of Core. (If it's a desktop install , workstation,
> server , etc) .
>
> With these two things , we can then create a policy to decide what goes
> into and what leaves the Core cds...
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

Good point, but it should be possible to make an optional CD containing
the KDE stuff, and use that to get KDE during or after installation. And
if you don't have to get this CD if you don't want it.

This way you would purchase or tell your friend to download the Fedora
KDE Extra CD if you want kde.

--
Sindre Pedersen Bjordal <foolish at fedoraforum.org>
www.fedoraforum.org