PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Jul 25 03:49:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 04:25, Warren Togami wrote:

> Know that there may also be benefits to moving KDE to Extras.
> * Red Hat does not emphasize enigneering work on KDE.  Most of the RH
> desktop team works mainly on GNOME.
> * As a result our KDE is always not as good as it could be.
> * Community members care about KDE.
> * Thus community members would do a better job of providing a more
> polished KDE experience in Fedora.

You are assuming here that the Core/Extras split is defined by "Red Hat
maintains Core" and "community maintains Extras" - I don't know if
that's a given. More people helping maintain the Core KDE packages
wouldn't be a bad thing, though of course everyone has to have a similar
vision for the packages, it wouldn't work too well if kdebase and
kdelibs maintainers were having CVS commit wars. ;-)

Personally I would not want to move KDE to Extras, at least with the
current de facto definition of Core as "stuff relatively more people
want to use" and Extras as "stuff relatively few people are clamoring
for." Fedora isn't a commercially supported product and part of the
reason for that is to let us include more stuff that people like.
It's also targeted toward a techie audience and having choice of
desktops is a pretty geek friendly thing.

Havoc