IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sun Jul 25 10:21:20 UTC 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Thanks for all the reactions, below I'll react to the interesting ones:
>
> -no I haven't timed this yett, but making gdm start before things like
> network, sendmail, anacron, cups, etc should really speed things up (i
> think). If there is genuine interest in this, which there seems to be
> I'll write some initial test patches.
> -about the preload work / multithreaded patches. Those are real
> optmizations, which require lott of work and add a lott of complexity,
> thats not what this is about. Havoc understands what I want todo, this
> is not about actually speeding up the boot process, this is about giving
> the user soemthing to laak at /type in ASAP, and then start things like
> networking, cups etc after this.

You'll have to have network and various other "useless" things running
before user can login in case of networked authentication methods, /home
over NFS etc. This gets us back to the "initscripts with dependencies"
which didn't bring that much improvement, though I certainly wouldn't mind
10% faster boot and then start gdm as soon as possible, leaving things
that *really* don't matter like anacron to start up later.

	- Panu -