PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

John Kodis kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Jul 25 13:39:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:17:42PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> There are other candidates, one of which I mentioned to Michael Tiemann the
> other day.  These are but a few suggestions, based upon sorting by size and
> running test removals under Synaptic.  All sizes quoted below are installed
> sizes as reported by Synaptic.  It appears to me that Synaptic underreports
> sizes by a significant margin, though.
>
> * Gnucash (72MB).  Extras, not Core.  I have this one installed, but
> it still is not Core functionality.

It's a shame that this package is so large, but I think that this, or
some other accounting package should remain as part of the core.
Checkbook balancing and general personal finance tracking are a common
enough activity that some way to do this seems as though it should be
provided by the core application set.

> * The X.org 100DPI fonts, unless and until a GUI config utility can
> be had to easily switch between the 75DPI fonts and these. (and
> those that might say that I just need a higher resolution to
> appreciate them, well, I have one reply: I'm at 1400x1050 now; want
> me to go higher? :-)) Just how many fonts need to be Core material?

Here xdpyinfo says "resolution: 112x112 dots per inch".  I wouldn't be
surprised to find out that most monitors today are closer to 100 DPI
than they are to 75 DPI.  Since even with the current set of fonts
people complain about a lack of nice fonts, I think that these are
still worth the 1.5M that they seem to occupy.

Anyway, thanks for the thourough and detailed analysis.  There is
indeed some trimming to be done.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA