IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Mon Jul 26 10:20:38 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
>>The last time this was tried, the total speedup was on the order of
>>10% or so. Perhaps it's changed, but it wasn't a extreme speedup.
>

> Yeah, I remember that. But hey, I'll take 10%. And it's probably somewhat
> more on SMP and hyperthreading system.
>
> And really, speedup and parallelization is only an incidental benefit --
> it'd be nice for services to know what they need before they start, rather
> than depending on magic number ordering.

Well, I measured my startup times to gdm showing up:
- 65s FC2 unmodified (minimal services)
- 42s starting gdm as soon as possible (nothing else in parallel)

compared to:
- 17s Windows XP

which shows, that we have a long way to go :)
and probably have to add a kernel module, which displays a fake login screen :) *just kidding*