Definition of Core, Extras, and more (Fedora Collection Strawman)

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Mon Jul 26 13:56:15 UTC 2004

Hello Michael,

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 12:33, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> This email was first sent to fedora-devel as a followup to the
> "Definition of Open Source" thread.  Perhaps it got lost there, because
> I only saw a few responses, followed by dozens of emails on the subject
> it treads under the heading "Core Size Reduction".

Your mail didn't get lost. At least I read it. Only it was a bit
extensive so I decided to not directly reply, but reread and think a bit
about it first before replying. And judging from the rest of the thread
people have at least picked up parts of your proposal. You could of
course merge results from other parts of the discussion into your
proposal and post an updated draft.

By the way, you didn't answer my question about whether this proposal
(or a successor) could be turned into an official request for
discussion. In another branch of this thread you warned your proposal
then to come wouldn't be an official Red Hat statement. Although this is
a very lively and interesting discussion as such it would be a shame if
it doesn't result in some official and specific guidelines.

Leonard.