linux registry (no, not that again!)

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 16:48:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:33, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:38 +0100, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> > If it cant be edited by a text editor its a bad idea.
>
> No, it's not... If something is damaged, broken or corrupted, it can be
> easily fixed by using a simple line or text editor. You can even boot
> from a bootable recue CD and fix the problem. Can you do that with
> Windoze propietary, binary, monolithic registry? No.

Errrrr .... so like I said

"If it CANT be edited by a text editor its a BAD idea" ???

You have just argued that you agree with that I said ? My original post
was poor English, I apologise - but I think you have miss understood. Im
pushing for plain text - but with an API for manipulating text. My key
point is that the API should be common to all Linux, not left for people
to write the same code over and over again ....

1)	reading VARIABLE=value pairs and
2)	writing VARIABLE=value pairs.

So the plain text file with this

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.10.10.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
GATEWAY=10.10.10.1
TYPE=Ethernet

could be altered with a function like this

result=write_configfile("/etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-eth0","ONBOOT","no");

and

result=read_configfile("/etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-eth0","ONBOOT",&mystring);

See ... simple for programmer - and all plain text.

Jon