i686 build of Fedora Core

Angelo ang3l0 at katamail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:00:03 UTC 2004

Fedora Core is an excellent distro, it is complete, easy and features a
lot of packages.

I think that the only thing it misses is to release an i686 optimized
version (just like i386 and amd64). Packages compiled with that
optimization would be a lot faster, and i think that 99% of fedora users
run a i686-compatible processor:
- Intel sold starting from 1995: Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, Pentium 3,
Pentium 4
- All AMDs

The i686 is really more powerful, it is pipelined, it features hardcoded
floating point (FPU), it can process more than 1 instruction per cycle..
but all this features are all wasted if it isn't compiled to use them.
GCC can take advantage of all the new instruction provided with i686
really well, the builds will be identical to the i386 one and you can
provide both archs in two different folders.

Just one question, why not ?

Anyway Fedora is the best distro I know.

Regards,
Angelo