Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Wed Jun 9 02:12:13 UTC 2004

On 2004.06.08 18:36, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 06:18:54PM -0400, Willem Riede wrote:
> > Because I am talking about the case where e.g. glibc changes in a way that needs
> > changes in applications to make them work again. Since with a mini-core most of
> > the applications will not be in core, but in extra's, they wouldn't be upgraded
> > when you do the core upgrade, and therefore not work afterwards. QED.
>
> That will always happen for third party apps and is unfixable (non US people
> can in some cases install software which is prohibited in the USA,
> Red Hat cannot ship such software).
>
> So what happens in the actual world is what happens in Debian in this
> situation. After feeding your computer update CD's you ask the yum/apt tools
> to do the rest of the work.

Understood. But for that to start happening for applications that are now part of
the standard distribution, but wouldn't be in a slimmed down core is a major
setback in my opinion. I can only see the downside of reducing core, no upside.

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with those that hold the opposite view.

Regards, Willem Riede.