CPAN spec file generator needs testing, feedback

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jun 10 06:08:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 21:34, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> I've mentioned here before that I've written a script to build
> "correct" (in other words, "will pass QA") spec files for perl
> modules.  Thanks to José Pedro Oliveira, the output of the script is
> now *very* close to the "official" fedora.us spec template.
>
> The script seems useful enough that I'd really like some more feedback
> on it.  It can be found here:
>
>   http://www.silug.org/~steve/software/scripts/perl/cpanspec
>
> Besides trying to be correct, the script *tries* to automatically
> determine BuildRequires, BuildArch, package description, and which
> files are documentation.  The generated spec files *will* have to be
> edited, but hopefully only slightly.

I will have to test this against some of the corner cases I know of.
There are some packages that do not demand certain modules be installed,
but really need them anyways.  (At least one of the RPM packages have
dependencies on a couple of things that are needed to make them useful,
yet they are not hard dependencies in the code.)

--
Alan <alan at clueserver.org>