Gnome Icons, Gnome/KDE Menus need improvement

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jun 10 13:08:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

This is kind of the point.  GTK+ probably should have better menu
handling, but when you install a lot of packages, those packages are
going to have .desktop files.  And those .desktop files are going to be
in the menus.  Therefore, you're definitely going to have a menu that's
100 items long, simply because you installed all those games.

The goal of the redhat-menus package and of the maintainers of that
package is to make the _default_ install (but NOT the everything
install) be sane and have nice menus.  If you install everything, there
has to be some place to put it, and you cannot expect users to go to the
command line to launch things.  Therefore, they go into the menus
whether we like it or not :(  Which, because some packages install huge
numbers of duplicate functionality programs, means you have cluttered
menus.

Using "More" menus is not really the way to go, the way to go is to have
sane programs that do what you want, and not to have 5 programs that
each do 75% of what you want but all have non-overlapping features too.

Dan