if you shutdown your pc and have apps open the apps don't "stop" the shutdown and ask to save

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Wed Jun 16 18:47:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:52 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> Also remember that in a perfect world, session management would be
> perfect and you could do this.  When you log back in, all your apps
> would open up exactly as you left them with the exact documents you were
> working on (temporarily saved I guess), like you never shut down/logged
> out at all.

This thread does bring up a good question:  what kind of notification do
applications get that the system is being shut down (or the user is
logging off, it's all the same to the app)?  As an example: In Windows,
applications get a signal that they are being shutdown and they can
respond to it.  This is where Word would ask you to save your file, etc.
The downside is that applications can prevent the logoff/shutdown from
happening and that can cause maddening system 'hangs'.  Is there such a
signal that Linux/UNIX apps receive?  Does it come from X, Gnome/KDE?

--
David T Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>