Kernel Stack Sizes

Steve Brenneis sbrenneis at surry.net
Thu Jun 17 01:59:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 21:51, Erik Espinoza wrote:
> Linus has taken the stance that binary drivers are NOT the priority in
> the development of the Linux kernel. I believe Fedora feels the same
> way and although ndiswrapper is not a binary driver in itself, the
> ndis drivers it loads from Windows are. The same goes for nVidia, who
> has put out a really quality driver, but hasn't updated it for FC2.
>
> In addition Linuxant puts out a kernel that works fine with
> ndiswrapper and nVidia available for download for free at:
> www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc2-kernel-i686.php
>
> Moral of the story, when nVidia decided to release a binary driver it
> came with the understanding that they would make updates since we
> don't have the source in order to be able to ourselves. We can't let a
> few companies dictate how we move forward, especially when we are
> buying customers. With that said, apply pressure. Inquire with nVidia.
> Ask for a timeline as an nVidia customer. Let your voice be heard to
> the people who can do something about it, or download the linuxant
> kernels and get up and going today.
>
> Erik

I have downloaded the linuxant kernels and installed them. The nVidia
drivers and ndiswrapper work after a fashion. However, I just discovered
that the sound drivers in FC2 no longer work as well. As much as I would
like to reap the benefits of the 2.6 kernel, heigh-ho heigh-ho it's back
to FC1 I go. Or maybe I'll try Mandrake.

Thanks for your time.