how to override kernel modules?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jun 18 09:04:19 UTC 2004

Hi Fernando,

> > This was done as a patch to modutils that it doesn't appear we've done
> > any sort of analog for in module-init-tools.  This would be a bug --
> > could you file in bugzilla that module-init-tools doesn't look in the
> > updates directory first so that this doesn't get lost?
>
> Ok, filed as Bug 125990. I'll try for a better patch than what I posted
> to the list before so that "updates/" is singled out specifically (to
> mantain compatibility with the 2.4.x behavior).

I think your patch had a few problems.  It seemed to me like the list of
modules you get from updates clobbers the list pointer you already got
from the whole tree, losing the original tree completely.

I've given it a go and have created a working patch which I tested in
various conditions.

Patch is at
http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/patches/modutils/module-init-tools-update/
and an updated RPM at
http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/pkg/fedora-2-i386-fedora-stable/modutils-2.4.26-16.fdr.2.2/

Please check if this works for you.
I've also commented on the bug you entered in RH's bugzilla.

Jeremy Katz has also tested the patch.

Thanks
Thomas

I work all day and I won't fight