video in the desktop

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Jun 18 23:05:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:21:01PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> At the same time, I think that it's reasonable to be looking at this and
> trying to get it into Fedora Core 3.  Hopefully by doing so, we'll be
> able to sort of start getting more Theora content created, just as
> happened with Vorbis.

Ok I've been testing the current code. It looks clean, it works on x86-64
and x86-32. It could do with some optimising and deep wizardly mmx etc
of the kind that ffmpeg has but thats obviously not their priority and
it makes sense its not.

The standalone player/encoder are mindbogglingly crude - but work. The
playback quality for a high bitrate (80 mins on a CD) stream is subjectively
near DVD already but was taking about 2/3rd of the performance of a decent
athlon box to decode 720x480 at the full 30fps

The big challenge I see would be building a totem that had theora but didn't
have all the patent and license encumbered non US friendly formats. It
would require major violence on the innards of xine-lib it appears.

Alan