packages that BuildRequire: gettext that need to change to gettext-devel

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 20:13:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

I recently got a bug (#125042) that suggested that gstreamer should
BuildRequire cvs.  This sounded very odd, so I investigated a bit.  It
turns out that we invoke the gettext program "autopoint", which
internally uses cvs (which seems crack to me, but that's another issue).

The "autopoint" program is presently included in the "gettext" package.
Since it's really autopoint that requires CVS, it seems to me that the
package containing autopoint should BuildRequire: cvs.  However, since
gettext is essentially part of the base system, this would force cvs in
too.

So as an alternative, I'd like to move autopoint (and probably more
development tools) into gettext-devel.  See bug #126071.  This brings up
the main point: a lot of packages presently BuildRequire: gettext, and I
think all of them will need to change to gettext-devel.  This is the
list from rawhide:

[walters at porkchop fc3]$ for pkg in $(ls -1); do (cd $pkg; latest=$(ls -1 | tail -1); if rpm -qp --requires $latest/SRPMS/$pkg-$latest.src.rpm | grep -q gettext; then echo $pkg; fi); done
anaconda
binutils
bug-buddy
chkconfig