No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Jun 25 19:50:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:08:47PM -0700, Daryll Strauss wrote:

> I'll throw this out as a straw man based on what I've been reading:
>
> 1) /usr/lib/`uname -r`/build continues to exist as part of the kernel
> package. This covers what most people who do want to build modules for
> their currently running kernel.
>
> 2) A new kernel devel package is created. It includes headers for ALL
> kernels that have been released for a distribution.

Why? I'd expect a kernel-devel package to have all headers and
configuration for all supported archs. And I'd expect to be able to
install kernel-devel package for different kernel versions without
conflicts.

(
 /usr/src/linux-devel-`uname -r`/include
 /usr/src/linux-devel-`uname -r`/`uname -m`/*
 etc., or like the current 'build/' prelinked
)

But I see no need to have support for all released kernel versions on one
single kernel-devel package.

> They'd be placed in
> different directories (maybe /usr/src) with some naming scheme that
> includes kernel release, smp, architecture, etc. This package would get
> new sets of headers added to it every time a new kernel release comes
> out.

After some iterations on rawhide, we'd need a dvd just for that package.
:)

Regards,
Luciano Rocha