Self-Introduction: Michael Tiemann

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jun 30 14:10:14 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 05:03, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> 	* bring GRASS to Fedora (FreeGIS has been funded to do this)

Excellent.  GRASS plus some good GUI tools and the ability to tie in GPS would
fulfil the need for a good mapping/tracking suite, even though GRASS is a
little over powered for that job, it has all the tools.

> 	* bring in the latest and greatest free bioinformatics sw

There is a bioinformatics repository out there that is pulled in with the
ATrpms configuration; http://apt.bea.ki.se/biorpms/ is the location.  R is
one of the packages there.  As I don't have that repository enabled in my apt
config (I really like using synaptic to manage things, primarily because I
can refresh, filter new packages, and see what is the latest and greatest out
there easily; then simply selecting the package, hitting install, and 'vroom'
there it is.)  While you can do that with 'yum install' you have to first
list the packages, filter on new, then remember the names.  It is more
convenient when busy to see a package and select it for installation.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology