Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel? -- i386 is still around

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jun 1 15:58:00 UTC 2004

Hello Bryan,

> Frankly, I don't think people recognize the _real_ reason for trying to
> keep i386/486 ISA compatibility.  It's not to support old systems, but to
> support i386/486 ISA embedded microprocessor cores in all sorts of black
> box solutions.  These solutions have full desktops/GUIs far more than you
> may think.

i386 still being around would be a reason to not even bump the minimum
architecture to i486. But I am not sure if Fedora/RHEL would be the
proper distributions to put on such devices. I'd assume the main
packages (kernel and glibc) need to be rebuild (or replaced in the case
of glibc) for such devices anyway, looking at their size...

Leonard.