Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel? -- not "lite," "Core" capable systems

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jun 2 15:33:17 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
> I've been suggesting it. Or, not dumping it, but making those systems
> be the focus of a Fedora Lite instead of Fedora Core. But it seems to
> be vastly unpopular.

No, we're talking systems that _are_ capable of running Fedora _Core_.

We're talking settop boxes, notepads, inventory devices, military
interfaces, etc... stuff with _full_ GUIs!  Stuff that has 128MB+ of
RAM, a 20GB+ disk (typically 2.5" or even 1") and wireless networking.

We're talking _modern_ applications!

The only exception is the "core" of the sub-2W SoC is typically a 486
ISA.  At the same time, its performance spanks a Pentium Pro silly!

> Sure, but they're by their nature not normal desktop systems --
> they're special purpose devices. Right? Having Linux running on them
> is cool; I just don't see it as a market for _core_.

Huh?  If an engineer likes Fedora, he's most likely going to want to use
Fedora as a base for these devices.  If a device is capable of using a
popular distro, it _will_.  Fedora is _ideal_ for these applications!

We're not talking "Having Linux running on them is cool" -- these
devices are _already_ running Linux _now_!  _Millions_ already!

> And my point is -- if you don't see them, then I don't think they're
> what FC is aimed at anyway.

AFAICT, Fedora Core is aimed at providing a community that shares a
popular distro.  The distro is aimed at people who have systems that are
at least 5th/6th generation "class" performance, 128MB+ RAM and a hard
drive.

I'm not taking about accomodating any "lite" systems.  That's what
MontaVista and other "embedded" Linux systems do.

No, I'm talking about an, again, 5th/6th generation "class" performing
device, 128MB+ RAM and a hard drive.  They have GUIs, are used for

It's a crapload easier to not only build but, more importantly,
_maintain_ (which is 80% of the engineering cycle) the distribution.  If
they can tap Fedora Core, then it's 99% easier.

I'm not advocating changing Core (that's for another project ;-).  But
darn it, why oh why don't you guys realize that there are literally
millions of systems running Linux _now_ that have a 486 ISA?

Not some "old" system that needs Fedora "Lite," but one with 128MB+ RAM,
a hard drive, a GUI and performance that smacks a Pentium Pro silly.

Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- b.j.smith at ieee.org