Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 11:56:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:39:23PM +0200, Florian La Roche wrote:
> It is not helping unix tradition and that we cannot turn back time and
> start from scratch again. That would be great, right?

Except that to assume the small number of fhs people are more likely to be right
than the mass of users/developers is naßve. A large number o Unix conventions
developed by rational extension and were tested against rival approaches -
lbin v local/bin, sys5 v bsd init  /var/mail v /var/spool/mail etc

Standardising things when you don't know the answer leads to stuff like OSI.