Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jun 3 13:46:51 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Phil Knirsch <pknirsch at redhat.com> said:
> I came up with a small list of packages that, due to the change in the
> latest FHS-2.3 and the addition of /srv and /media would seem likely
> candidates for partiall data migration to /srv:

I think this new top-level directory is doomed to failure.  For one
thing, for a well set-up server, you'll need /srv to be on a separate
partition from /.  Since you already need separate partitions for /usr,
/var, /home, /tmp, and (in some places) /usr/local, you really don't
want a new top-level directory.  The first thing I'd probably do is make
/srv a symlink to /var/srv, /usr/local/srv, or some such.

Face it, user-modifiable files belong in /usr/local.  We don't need a
new top-level directory (that is different from every Unix-like system
in existence) to hold local files.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>