Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 15:44:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:39:18AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Frankly, what I would do for httpd/ftp is:
>
> a) do the move in the packages we ship
> b) don't move any user data
> c) relnote that the defaults have changed
>
> People can migrate their own sites on upgrade if they wish.

Why not just do nothing. It costs us less effort (and each move is engineering
effort - just moving xf86config has left fc2 with still broken keyboard config
tools for example). It's less effort for the user as well.

If all our customers in RHEL space start saying "but why not use /srv" during
RHEL4 testing then maybe there is a case for change, otherwise its violating
the first principle of engineering "If it aint broke..."

Alan