Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Thu Jun 3 18:37:53 UTC 2004

On Thursday 03 June 2004 07:05, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Some form of srv is needed. Maybe not on big dedicated servers, but all
> small multipurpose departemental servers you feel the pain of apps not
> agreeing where the big data partition is supposed to live.

There will never be agreement about what needs to be on the 'big data
partition'!

My private solution is to have a /local mounted with a big data partition.
Now /home is a symlink to /local/home. /var/cache is a symlink.

Anything that gets too big gets symlinked to /local. This way anybody can find
stuff and I have the flexibility to assign space as needed.

Maybe it's time to acknowledge that there is such a thing as local policy and
accommodate it.

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT