The USB keys bug

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Thu Jun 3 04:38:29 UTC 2004

On Thursday 03 June 2004 03:43 pm, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> We are in 2004 and lot and lots of people have USB keys.  The fact
> that FC2 does not do the proper thing for detecting the insertion
> of an USB key, mounting it and popping a Nautilus/Konqueror window on it
> must be considered a bug.

It kinda does, except not with all USB keys and without doing graceful things
like adding the new device to the nautilus devices screen.

If you look in /etc/updfstab.conf.default, you will notice a lot of devices
listed. Not all, but a lot. For example, for my USB key I had to add separate
entries for my devices, e.g. in the diskonkey field:

match   hd "Ultra Floppy"

because my USB key identifies itself as:

kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 15
kernel: scsi12 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
kernel:   Vendor: OTi       Model: Ultra Floppy      Rev: 1.11
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
kernel: SCSI device sda: 64512 512-byte hdwr sectors (33 MB)
kernel: sda: assuming Write Enabled
kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
kernel:  sda: sda1
kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi12, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

The "Model: Ultra Floppy" part is how updfstab identifies the device and knows
what to do with it. So, once the "match" for this device is added
to /etc/updfstab.conf, the process becomes automatic. Once you plug in your
device, you will see the device added to fstab and do the ownerships
correctly to the console user.

The only problem is that nautilus will have no idea about the new device, so
you can only mount it from the command line. This is an unhappy situation,
but at least it's getting somewhere. I don't know if I would want the devices
automatically mounted on insertion, as this could lead to unhappy places, but
just making nautilus aware of changes happening to fstab would be great.

--icon