Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Noa Resare noa at resare.com
Thu Jun 3 21:12:44 UTC 2004

tor 2004-06-03 klockan 11.25 skrev Phil Knirsch:

> Only bind, httpd and vsftpd are the really imporant packages with lots
> of data. Bind will stay where it is mainly for historical reasons as
> everyone excpects /var/named to exist and contain all the important bind
> configuration and data.

Given that /srv will exist in any shape or form in fedora I think it is
a bad idea not to move everything that should be there as soon as
possible. To have something in a counter intuitive filesystem location
just because "everyone expects" is bad for all new people that needs to
learn an exception to the rule. It reminds me of one of my my first
contacts with unix when i tried to compile a GNU program and compilation
failed with totally incomprehensible error messages. Some moments later
I was told that you have to put /usr/ucb first in your PATH.

By the way, doesn't "everyone expect" manpages to be located in
/usr/man?

For bind I think the migration will be simple as everyone that has
installed zonefiles in /var/named will have modified /etc/named.conf and
so the old references to /var/named will be preserved. People that
starts to add zones from scratch or people who use caching-nameserver
will use the new location.

> So mainly for historical and data migration reasons we have decided to
> only provide /media and /srv for FHS-2.3 compliant applications in the
> near future but won't move any of the existing package data there for now.
>
> Hope this explains a little our reasoning and motivations related to and
> concerning the LSB/FHS and where we stand and want to go in the future.

Ok. Perhaps FC3 is too close to do the move, but please consider it for
FC4. For people who don't want to read the releasenotes and fix some
things manually on upgrade there are distributions that have a few years
between new releases :P

cheers/noa

--
And the lions ate the christians and the christians burned the witches,
and even I am out of explanations -- Ola Salo