Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Aaron Bennett aaron.bennett at olin.edu
Fri Jun 4 21:22:28 UTC 2004

David Kewley wrote:

>>What about /opt?  From the FHS 2.3 document
>>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE14 , it's seems that
>>all of Fedora's optional packages need to install into /opt/<packagename>.
>>

>I don't read it this way.  The FHS 2.3 says, "/opt is reserved for the
>installation of add-on application software packages."  Nowhere does it say
>anything equivalent to, "add-on application software packages must be
>installed in /opt."  There's a big difference there, one that I'm willing to
>assume is intentional. :)

Trust me here -- if I'm setting up a straw man, it's because it needs to
be burned...

How do you reconcile the thought that /opt an optional place to install
add-on software packages with what the FHS says about /usr/local?

>       /usr/local : Local hierarchy
>

>         Purpose
>
> The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
> installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being
> overwritten when the system software is updated. It may be used for
> programs and data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not
> found in /usr.
>
> Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather
> than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade software
> in /usr. [27] <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#FTN.AEN1450>

I suppose that could best be read as "/usr/local" is machine specific,
while /opt is exportable and mountable.  At least that's how a Solaris
SysAdmin would probably take it.  But it's pretty wierd if that's the
case: it's ok to dump stuff into /usr/local/bin , but everything in /opt
needs to be in /opt/<packagename>/bin ?  Why?

The best answer I can come up with is that the people at FHS didn't do
any better job of grappling with this then I am.  There are two issues:
what is an add-on, and where should it go?  I suspect that in RHEL world
-- and you'd have to ask Red Hat RHEL product support for an answer --
anything that is not distributed by Red Hat is an add-on.  Here in
Fedora world we have the Fedora Extras repository which is sanctioned by
Red Hat but not distributed or written by them.  It's more of a grey
area.  What about stuff from livna.org, that according to Red Hat
doesn't officially exist?  Is xmms-mp3 and 'add-on'?  Or a locally
installed software package?

Those are tough questions.

What I think happened with the FHS is it's trying to be all things to
all systems.  There are times when installing everything into /opt is a
good idea.  There are times when it's not.  There are times when
installing stuff into /svr is the right way to go... and times when it's
not.  I think that it's totally valid to have standard, canonical
locations for files.  I'm in favor of a Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.
Just not necessarily this one.  Whatever one we use, it has got to be
consistent.  We can't be moving stuff from /var/apache to /var/httpd to
/svr/httpd to /services/webserver to /services/something else every two
years.

--
Aaron Bennett
UNIX Administrator