Creating RPMs

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Jun 5 23:52:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 19:36:32 -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:

> I don't know much of anything about creating RPMs from scratch, but I
> was watching the rebuilding of an SRPM on my computer, to which I passed
> the --target=i686 flag, and its compilation lines looked like this
>
> c++ -c   -I./lib/wx/include/gtk-2.4 -I../include -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
> -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT
> -I/usr/X11R6/include -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES
> -D__WXGTK__ -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D_IODBC_ -O2 -MMD -pthread -Wall -fPIC
> -o tbargtk.o ../src/gtk/tbargtk.cpp
>
> Now -march=i686 is not showing up anywhere in there.  Did the packager
> do something wrong, or is it normal for the flag to not get passed to
> C++ compilation lines during a rebuild?

Default target platform dependent RPM optimization flags are passed on
by default. But it's up to the code, which is compiled, whether it
accepts $CFLAGS and $CXXFLAGS from the outside to override its own
default ones. Could be that the program you've tried to compile has -O2
hardcoded. In such a case, packagers might patch the code and replace it
with '$(RPM_OPT_FLAGS)'.