Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Mon Jun 7 18:05:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:24:11AM -0600, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> I dont think Anaconda is meant to look at anything beyond the bare
> installation Cd's the rest should be done with first-boot. Maybe first
> boot should have a yum configuration section where you can enter the yum
> places you want to to point ot.

How's that going to work with kickstart-based installs/upgrades?

I'd really like to see a day where a person could fire up
kickstart-based upgrades on 200 cluster servers and have *everything*
upgraded when the systems reboot (assuming all of their local apps
were in an appropriate repository).

FWIW, I was doing stuff like this with engineering workstations
running HP-UX at a previous job 5 years ago using HP's Ignite-UX
tool...  It still scares me a little that we don't have a tool even
that good yet.

That employer is using a *ton* of RHL now, and upgrades are nearly
unmanageable.  Paying for RHEL would reduce the frequency of necessary
upgrades, and the money isn't necessarily a problem for them, but how
would they do all those upgrades?  (In other words, I don't think this
is just a problem for Fedora Core/Extras/etc. users.)

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/