Dropping python-optik?

Mihai Ibanescu misa at redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 15:20:49 UTC 2004

Hello,

As of python 2.3, Optik is included in the mainline python (although it's
called optparse now).

Fedora currently ships python 2.3.3 (2.3.4 in rawhide), so we may consider
dropping the python-optik package.

If we are to do this, the main python package would have to obsolete
python-optik and have a virtual provides for python-optik; but then again,
if your script worked with optik it would have to adjust its imports to use
optparse instead. So it's quite messy.

Any preference on how to handle this? Drop the package and deal with the mess?
Keep the package and deal with the mess? :-)

Cheers,
Misa