Dropping python-optik?

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 8 15:23:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 09:20, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As of python 2.3, Optik is included in the mainline python (although it's
> called optparse now).
>
> Fedora currently ships python 2.3.3 (2.3.4 in rawhide), so we may consider
> dropping the python-optik package.
>
> If we are to do this, the main python package would have to obsolete
> python-optik and have a virtual provides for python-optik; but then again,
> if your script worked with optik it would have to adjust its imports to use
> optparse instead. So it's quite messy.
>
> Any preference on how to handle this? Drop the package and deal with the mess?
> Keep the package and deal with the mess? :-)

Consider this the initial notification. Drop the package with an
obsoletes in rawhide, and then put it in a change summary why it
happened.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until
-- tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed.