Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

Crutcher Dunnavant crutcher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 03:49:17 UTC 2004

Splitting up Core is quite sepperate from there being outside package
maintainers. I'm suggesting that Core be split up into different
layers of INSTALL AND RUN TIME DEPS, not that the organization of the
build change.

I'm suggesting a hardcore Core which is very small, contains only what
is needed to have a functional, configurable, updateable system.
I'm suggesting a Desktop set which provides desktop features, and has
deps into Desktop and Core. Etc.

I'm suggesting, basically, that the install time grouping be
development time groupings, and that their be sub-projects for these
different levels, with their own time tables, mailing lists, repos,
etc., but a common build environment.

I just think it would be more managable.

Crutcher <crutcher at gmail.com>
www.samedi-studios.com