Static routes. a default static-routes file.

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Wed Jun 9 12:10:11 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 15:00, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Jos Vos wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:03:45PM +0900, Naoki wrote:
> > >     I'm thinking we should have an /etc/sysconfig/static-routes file
> > > with some commented examples as default.
> > > Anybody agree or am I silly?
> >
> > I think the static-routes functionality has moved to different files
> > since RHL 9 or so (so that file doesn't work anymore).
>
> Unless this changed between FC1 and FC2 (I do not have an FC2 machine
> available atm) it is in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth?. The
> only thing missing is the examples but I do not really see the point of
> examples. If you do not already know how to do 10.10.10.0/24 via
> 192.168.1.1 then maybe you should use system-config-network. :-) It would
> be nice if the script allowed you to put comments in the file though.

Indeed, if you study the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes script
you'll find out that static routes are searched
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-${INTERFACE} but there is also a
global file /etc/sysconfig/static-routes. This file is used for non
interface-specific static-routes.

Bottom line: it would be good if a /etc/sysconfig/static-routes file would
exist with some examples, but also a suggestion to put interface-specific
routes in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-${INTERFACE}.

Mihai