CPAN spec file generator needs testing, feedback

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jun 10 06:25:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 23:12, Warren Togami wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> >
> > I will have to test this against some of the corner cases I know of.
> > There are some packages that do not demand certain modules be installed,
> > but really need them anyways.  (At least one of the RPM packages have
> > dependencies on a couple of things that are needed to make them useful,
> > yet they are not hard dependencies in the code.)
>
> Such packages should have explicit Requires and possibly comments within
> the .spec file why they were added.  Explicit definitions should improve
> reproducibility, which is one type of "stability" in the distribution.

What I am going to look at is if the code actually finds those
dependencies.  I agree that the requires need to be there.  The question
I have is if it actually finds them all.

The other issue is places where the CPAN module needs a library that is
not a CPAN module.  (Called via XS.)  I don't know if your code covers
that case.  (CPAN.pm does not.)

--
Alan <alan at clueserver.org>