update etiquette

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Jun 11 15:34:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> > What's the right way to get an update into FC1?  Bugzilla(.redhat.com)
> > a polite request?  Submit an update to fedora.us?
>
> Bugzillaing a request sometimes helps, but it's rather dependent on the
> developer('s mood). If there are not too many packages depending on it
> your chances might be better.
>
> I don't think submitting an update to fedora.us will do any good in this
> respect.

IIRC, if the package was included in the original fc1 distro then fedora.us
will not accept it. They do not want to duplicate packages in the original
distro.

> > One of the packages I'm working on for fedora.us (perl-Cache-Cache,
> > required by perl-HTML-Mason) asks for Digest::SHA1 >= 2.02, and the
> > current version in FC1 is 2.01.  (The current upstream version is
> > 2.10, which appears to have a lot of bugfixes, including one that
> > seems to remove the necessity for perl-Digest-SHA1-utf8.patch.)
>
> Bug fixes may be a valid reason to release an update. Bugzilla and
> mention the above.

Agreed but AFAIK it will have to come from Red Hat, unless you use a
repo like dag or freshrpms. That creates a whole different set of
problems IMO.

Tom