Can rpmfind.net be removed from the mirrors list ?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Jun 14 09:10:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 06:20:38PM +1000, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time Monday 14 June 2004 6:00 pm, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >   Hum, there is something fishy going on. The files are missing, the disk
> > ain't full and the mirroring ran last Jun 14 04:06 . It seems mirroring
> > from download.fedora.redhat.com just doesn't work for me right now, no idea
> > why yet...
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Daniel,
>
> do you have any idea why www.rpmfind.net speakesy.rpmfind.net are no longer
> accesiable? and why i always get fr2.rpmfind.net  which is extremly slow as
> the traffic goes from Australlia  across the US and over to France

  Speakeasy box seems dead, we were unable to make it restart, the "real"
rpmfind.net is not at MIT anymore, they don't want to host it any longuer
it's being repaired here in my office in france, so we are left with the
2 boxes in France, both sitting on RENATER research network, ine at INRIA
(fr.rpmfind.net) and INRA (fr2.rpmfind.net). the ftp and www aliases should
still work, but they won't be serving from the US anymore.
  It will be finishing the hardware upgrade/repair of rpmfind.net within
a few weeks and it will replace the fr.rpmfind.net box. There is no more
US mirror at this point. Anyway rpmfind boxes were not good bandwidth
box in any respect, the max I ever got in the last 3 years was 30Mbps.
To some extend the main service that rpmfind is providing nowadays is the
package search (and not doing a very good job right now), most distribution
have integrated automatic upgrade and query tools to their distro, so the
core of the Rpmfind service has moved to a better mechanism, this is mostly
computing evolution at work, and I think it's good for the users in the end.
Still I will try to keep the search engine running and get it back in a decent
shape, but they are not the best ones to mirror from.
  w.r.t. the header mirroring from download*.fedora.redhat.com seems just
to slow to be reliable at this point, so at the moment I'm trying to resynch
from another tier-1 mirror.

Daniel