Gnome Icons, Gnome/KDE Menus need improvement

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jun 14 16:38:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 22:58, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> What are your thoughts on this
> (response to bugzilla re: changing menu entries)
[...]
> What would make sense to me would be to construct the menu entry label
> like "Name GenericName" from the .desktop entry fields.

Following up to self: the "Name GenericName" may be a too simplistic
approach wrt i18n, probably language specific ways to construct the
labels would be needed (but I guess those two fields could still be
used).

Comments welcome, ie. how to implement GNOME HIG -compliant menu entry
labels in freedesktop.org desktop entry files for Fedora?  The only
technical documentation about this (that I'm aware of) is the
freedesktop.org desktop entry specification, and AFAICS stuffing both
app_name and app_function into the Name field in a .desktop file is
somewhat against it; an app_name<->Name, and app_function<->GenericName
mapping would sound better to me.