future kernel module rpm situation (was: kernel-source vs. kernel-sourcecode (please revert))

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Tue Jun 15 12:05:49 UTC 2004

> > for some value of work. I can guarantee you that this will break within the
> > next half year or so.
>
> Can you explain that?

Not using the headers that *exactly match* the kernel binary is broken.
Rebuilding a lot of stuff from /usr/src/<anything> is not going to
guarantee that it's an EXACT match.

> choice please don't break it. You would be removing appreciated added
> value and would piss off all kernel-level ISVs and repos including
> fedora.us.

It's broken infrastructure and is using implementation details instead
of properly provided infrastructure. Those implementation details are
subject to change. I mean that. Let me repeat it one more time:

If you don't use the headers that come with the kernel binary, things
will break, now or in the future.

The fact that you could get away with it in the past does not mean that
it will remain working in the future.