source vs. sourcecode

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 15 12:30:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 00:14 -0700, Erik Espinoza wrote:
> I don't think that yum can pull updates for different names. I know
> yum needed to be manually told to install openoffice.org on many of
> the rhel rebuilds because yum couldn't just handle it on it's own.

b/c it isn't an upgrade, it was an update.

ie: openoffice.org obsoletes openoffice.

the reason why obsoletes are not automatically considered is to deal
with circular obsoletes that exist in fedora/rhl ie:

foo obsoletes bar
bar obsoletes foo

if yum always considered and ran obsoletes on a normal 'update' call
then you'd have those two packaes oscillate back and forth with every
run. That'd be a waste of time and potentially damaging, wouldn't it?

it gets worse - larger circular obsoletes:
foo obsoletes bar
baz obsoletes foo
bar obsoletes baz

so then every 3 calls the packages change hands entirely.

this is the reason why in the next major version of yum the upgrade call
is deprecated for --obsoletes=1

so if you want to run update with obsoletes for one run just enabled
--obsoletes and then you're ready to go.

-sv