future kernel module rpm situation (was: kernel-source vs. kernel-sourcecode (please revert))

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Jun 15 13:34:58 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Tuesday 15 June 2004 11:27 pm, Philip Balister wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 09:01, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> > What headers? RedHat and Fedora don't ship any kernel headers in kernels
> > 2.4.x. And the only files under /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ are object
> > files, the modules.
>
> The headers is /lib/modules../build are fine for building modules. I am
> building the ipw2100 module fine on Fedora.
>
> I wish the linux-wlan-ng driver was as easy.
>
> Philip

i have built orinoco cvs, spca50x, and ixj_cs against /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/build and had no issues.  but i haven't tried to make rpms from them and
i haven't tried building for non-installed kernels.  though i look at it this
way.  i wouldnt use my FC2 box to build kernel modules for RHEL or RH7.x,8,9
i could see all sorts of fun in regards to compiler differences between
releases.  is it not recomended to use the same gcc as the kernel for
modules?  in this case you either need alot of gcc's installed  or a box of
each flavor, or a box with a big hdd or hdd's  and multiboot.

Dennis