future kernel module rpm situation (was: kernel-source vs. kernel-sourcecode (please revert))

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jun 15 14:22:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:15:45PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Say you have neither a running nor an installed kernel, only the
> neccessary build tools captured in a chroot waiting to build kernel
> modules. Please no dependecies on having the kernel installed and even

Why is it bad to BuildRequires: kernel-suchandsuch ?  You don't unpack
some glibc sources into a chroot waiting to build userspace programs,
do you?  No, you install glibc-devel...  So I don't see the problem
with installing the kernel you are going to build against.

> running. These requirements are far too strict, and unneccessary as
> past and current practice demonstrates. They may be adequate for
> someone building for his own few kernels, but not for producing
> several kernel module rpms in a row.

Can you not install several kernels in the chroot at once?