how to override kernel modules?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jun 16 05:04:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 11:37, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> linux has a different driver model. Drivers are part of the kernel. Full
> members, including being part of the kernel source code. This has
> advantages for the programmers as well as for the users, for the former
> it is easier to do changes and see users of interfaces etc, for the
> later it means that 99.999% of the time the right drivers are just there
> instead of having to search half the intranet for drivers.
>
> The model also has the downside that non-bundled drivers are a bit of an
> ignored stepchild....

If the poor stepchild would only get ignored, that would be great, but
unfortunately, it gets beaten, locked in dark rooms, laughed at and even
abandoned in the old house to starve to death when the family moves to a
new residence...

...um... i mean, the non-blundled drivers that the user installs get
"forgotten" when "yum update" installs a new kernel. That's the
translation of the "abandoned" metaphor.

The remaining "beaten, locked and laughed at" metaphors merely point to
the overall attitude of the kernel developers towards this issue.

Sorry for the strong words, it's merely a cry for help from
Plainuserland to the Big Ivory Tower. ;-)

My Windows-using buddies would laugh their guts out if i would tell them
about these problems. "You did WHAT and you lost your drivers? Updated
the kernel? :-)))"

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/