Generating rpm spec from autoconf/automake packages for Fedora

Didier Casse didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg
Wed Jun 16 07:52:47 UTC 2004

On 16/06/04, at 09:08 +0200, Nils O. Selåsdal <NOS at Utel.no> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 09:00, Didier Casse wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >          I am trying to convert some autonconf/automake packages or
> > libraries to rpms. Well to generate the spec, fitting
> > the
> >
> > -------------
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make install
> > -------------
> Take a look at the fedora .spec template at
> http://www.fedora.us/docs/spec.html
> Now, remember that one doesn't use ./configure in a .spec usually,
> but rather %configure , that will try to make the make install
> install it temporary while packaging in non default location, such as
> /var/tmp/foo-2.4.3-root/ , now when you do an rpmbuild , and if it
> fails, you can just go to /var/tmp/foo-2.4.3-root/ an look at which
> files it installed.

It was just an example. I already know the spec template for packaging! So
i know the proper steps. I'm only seeking for a way to place these files
automatically!

> > is straightforward! But the autoconf packages install lots of files around
> > the system.
> >
> > So the problem lies in dealing with the part:
> >
> > %files
> > %defattr(-,root,root)
> > %{_bindir}/
> Never do the above , it will make the package own the bindir
> (usr/bin), you don't want that. use %{_bindir}/*
> > %{_libdir}/lib*
> > %doc AUTHORS
> > %doc COPYING
> > %doc README

Just an example... Please do not take it literally. I packaged rpms
before so I know what you're telling me!

> > where we have to specify all the files that have been installed. Since the
> > autoconf/automake packages have not been made by me, I do not know which
> > files are being installed and I have to do everytime  a "make install" to
> > watch which files are being installed!
> A good packager must know every file of a package !

Yeah if it's my own package. But unfortunately it's somebody's else
package so I don't know every files and it keeps changing and sometimes
the directories change too!

> > Now is there a way to convert all these autoconf/automake packages
> > directly to rpms or is there a systematic/automated system to know which
> > files are being installed and fit directly in the specs?
> See above.
> You really only need to know each directory it places files in, and
> which directories the package should own.

Yeps but the package install in several directories too!

Thanks for the reply though.

With kind regards,

Didier.

---
PhD student.

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg

Web: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg