Generating rpm spec from autoconf/automake packages for Fedora

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Jun 16 14:00:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:52:47 +0800 (SGT), Didier Casse wrote:

> On 16/06/04, at 09:08 +0200, Nils O. Selåsdal <NOS at Utel.no> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 09:00, Didier Casse wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >          I am trying to convert some autonconf/automake packages or
> > > libraries to rpms. Well to generate the spec, fitting
> > > the
> > >
> > > -------------
> > > ./configure
> > > make
> > > make install
> > > -------------
> > Take a look at the fedora .spec template at
> > http://www.fedora.us/docs/spec.html
> > Now, remember that one doesn't use ./configure in a .spec usually,
> > but rather %configure , that will try to make the make install
> > install it temporary while packaging in non default location, such as
> > /var/tmp/foo-2.4.3-root/ , now when you do an rpmbuild , and if it
> > fails, you can just go to /var/tmp/foo-2.4.3-root/ an look at which
> > files it installed.
>

> It was just an example. I already know the spec template for packaging! So
> i know the proper steps. I'm only seeking for a way to place these files
> automatically!

What Nils tried to point out but could have emphasized much more is that
you should install into a buildroot and then can examine the buildroot's
contents for all files which were installed. Additionally, you could use
"find" on the buildroot, create a list of files automatically and include
that list in the %files section as

  %files -f files.list

instead of listing lots of files/directories manually. The important
part, however, is to install into a temporary buildroot, so you don't
need to monitor "make install" (as you wrote earlier).