Kernel Stack Sizes

Steve Brenneis sbrenneis at surry.net
Thu Jun 17 01:35:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 19:37, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 19:03 -0400, Steve Brenneis wrote:
> > I searched the archives of the list for discussion on this topic and
> > couldn't find anything. Can anyone tell me why the Fedora 2.6 kernels
> > are configured for 4K stacks? This breaks a wide variety of device
> > drivers including the bundled firewire driver, linuxant Broadcom driver
> > loader, and the nVidia graphics driver.
>
> It's been discussed at length. Basically, if the drivers were Free
> Software, they would likely have been customized to work with a 4K stack
> long ago.
>
> Apparently, much sooner than NVIDIA plans to support us.
>
> > Is there a plan to correct this? Should I file a bug?
>
> File a bug with NVIDIA (if they even allow you to) :).
>
> Rui

That would be fine if nVidia was the only problem. However, as I said
above, the firewire driver that comes bundled with FC2 does not work
with this kernel nor do the ndiswrapper or linuxant driverloader
packages for the Broadcom wireless drivers.

I understand the desire for efficiency, but efficiency doesn't do users
much good if their devices don't work.

OT - I searched the fedora-devel-list archives using "stack" and got a
total of three hits, none of which was on this topic. Apparently the
search engine leaves something to be desired.

Steve Brenneis <sbrenneis at surry.net>