Kernel Stack Sizes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 14:40:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:27:58 -0400, Steve Brenneis <sbrenneis at surry.net> wrote:
> Good luck, the open source drivers are completely non-functional on the
> geForce 4 family. If you boot to run level 5, you will see the red
> screen of death somewhere around the time your root file system is being
> mounted. If you boot to run level 3 and run startx, your screen will go
> blank and your system will happily wait until stars burn out for you to
> hit the power button.

I have an fc2 system running with the nv driver:

lspci reports:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4
MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a2)

I did have some problems at install time with an lcd monitor and video
sync with higher
resolution modes, but I never saw a screen of death and my screen does
not go black on startx, when i use a lower resolution mode. what I did
see above 800x600 was
a scrambled video problem, which seemed to be related specifically to
lcd monitors and not reproducible on my crt monitor. Sadly i didnt do
a test install during test phase on a system with an lcd monitor to
report the problem. Luckily though, upgrading to the xorg packages
sitting in updates-testing for fc2 seems to have clear up the lcd sync
problems i had at "1024x768."

But i digress...my point is..I think you are overstating the problems
associated with the nv driver on geforce4 hardware as a general case
situation.

-jef"Or perhaps my nvidia geforce4 card is a special hand crafted one
of a kind model they gave to HP to install randomly into their Windows
desktop machines that was created especially to help one lucky linux
user, me, to avoid the wide spread problems with the nv
driver."spaleta