Kernel Stack Sizes

Steve Brenneis sbrenneis at surry.net
Fri Jun 18 10:18:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 21:14, Warren Togami wrote:
> Steve Brenneis wrote:

> >>No I know several people who use the driver and got it from ati.com. Its
> >>not considered "news" it exists to my knowledge
> >

> > See my earlier reply. The drivers were posted in May and there is no
> > support for anything older than the 8500. No joy. Thanks anyway.
> >

> I can't help to think of you as a troll, as you did not even bother to
> search Google when asking for a link, and the OPEN SOURCE radeon drivers
> work quite well on radeon 9200 and lower.
>
> Warren

Gee thanks, Warren. You are such a ray of sunshine. I googled your name
and found that you seem to think everyone is a troll.

I have not responded to the issues about my luck with the open source
Radeon drivers before since it seemed off-topic for the list and I was
going to let it die, but since a couple of you have felt the need to
make ad hominem attacks, I can't let this go.

I have a dual P-III system with a Radeon 64MB DDR (7200) card. I built
it a few years ago and put Red Hat 7.x on it. I believe it had the open
source Radeon driver at that time. I later upgraded it to RH 8 and then
after adding a larger hard drive I did a fresh install of RH 9. During
all that time, I had absolutely no problems with video performance. I
have used a number of different multimedia applications and even loaded
winex on it to show my kids that Linux could play their games. About two
months ago, I loaded FC1 on the system and since then I have noted a
number of issues with video performance. Text windows have jumpy and
erratic scrolling performance, winex seems to have developed a case of
hiccups, mplayer occasionally crashes for no apparent reason, and the
whole system randomly hangs, necessitating a console switch to kill the
X server. Thus my comment that the FC1 driver was working after a
fashion.

During the life of that system, I have occasionally visited the ATI
website and yes, Warren, I have googled for drivers. Apparently I was
limiting my search for the 7200 series alone. I heave read hundreds of
discussions about ATI's refusal to support Linux drivers including
postings made by ATI themselves. After buying a laptop with a Broadcom
wireless card in it, I discovered much of the same history with them.

I'm trying real hard here not to get my panties in a bunch since I
haven't posted to this list before, but I spent three years of my life
convincing the major corporation I work for to switch a very large and
widely used application to Linux, so no, Warren, I am not a troll. I was
just looking for help and I thought some philosophical discussion of
whether or not a distribution might consider adapting to the hardware
that is prevalent was in order. I can see that is not the direction the
Fedora community wants to take and I am fine with that. To the rest of
you who were sincere in your responses, thanks and I apologize for this
rant. I think this thread has played out.

--
Steve Brenneis <sbrenneis at surry.net>