Bad dependencies (ethereal-gnome, sane-frontends)

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sat Jun 19 21:31:12 UTC 2004

Several packages have recently switched from using gtk1 to gtk2, generally
a Good Thing.  However, many of these packages are older and explicitly
include Require lines in their spec files for gtk+, rather than relying
on rpmbuild automatically picking up the dependencies.  This means that
we have some packages that require gtk1 when they shouldn't.

ethereal-gnome - Bug #120896 enabled gtk2 as of version 0.10.3-2, but
package still Requires: gtk+>=1.2.  Present in FC2 and development

sane-frontends - Development now has 1.0.12, which automatically compiles
against gtk2 instead of gtk1.  But, spec file Requires: gtk+ >= 0.99.13.
Also, incidentally, sane-frontends seems to explicitly Require gimp >= 1.1.25,
which I don't think is necessary either, especially since xscanimage isn't
shipped in the package favor of Xsane.  (If we did ship xscanimage, it
would now build against and require gimp2 anyway.)  Problem only in
development.

On a side note, grip needs to be updated in development from 3.0.7 to
the new stable 3.2.0, which uses gtk2 and GNOME2, eliminating yet another
gtk1 application.  It's been out since April 15th or thereabouts.

John Thacker